Recipe by Chef shapeweaver �
Even though my mom came from "up north", she really could make great biscuits and gravy. It has taken me this long to get the so called "recipe" down. She never measured anything, and as such, I had to guess at how she made them. I think I finally figured it out. So here it is. I hope you enjoy it. Prep time includes 5 minutes sitting time if you have to make your own buttermilk. Posted on October 12th 2005.
Top Review by leigh16tl
I was looking for a recipe like my nanny's, who didn't use any measurements at all. This had all the right ingredients. The only thing is the biscuits came out a little to hard and not quite like biscuits when followed exactly but all I had to do was add atleast 1/2 more buttermilk and they came out perfect. Other than that excellent recipe.
- 2 1⁄2 cups self-rising flour
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 cup buttermilk (if you don't have buttermilk,use 1 cup milk with 1 tablespoon lemon juice, let sit 5 minutes)
- 4 tablespoons vegetable shortening or 4 tablespoons same amount bacon grease
- 1⁄3 cup self-rising flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons salt (to taste)
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper (to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Pre-heat oven to 425°F.
- In a medium sized bowl, add flour and shortening.
- Cut in shortening until it looks like coarse breadcrumbs.
- Add buttermilk and stir until soft dough forms.
- Pour onto a board floured with 1/3 cup flour.
- Roll into a ball and lightly knead for about 5 minutes.
- Gently pat out dough until about 1/3 inch thick.
- Using a 1 1/2 to 2 inch round biscuit cutter, cut out biscuits.
- Re-knead remaining scraps to make more biscuits.
- Place on ungreased cookie sheet, about an inch apart.
- Bake at 425°F for 15 to 20 minutes or until desired color is reached.
- For gravy:.
- In a medium sized skillet, melt shortening until hot but not smoking.
- Add 1/3 cup flour and stir until it looks like a paste.
- Add 1/2 cup milk; stir until smooth.
- Add rest of milk, stirring with wire whisk constantly until all lumps are gone.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Turn off heat and let sit for 5 minutes to thicken.