1/3 Photos of Buttermilk Biscuits and Pepper Gravy
Chef shapeweaver �'s Note:
Even though my mom came from "up north", she really could make great biscuits and gravy. It has taken me this long to get the so called "recipe" down. She never measured anything, and as such, I had to guess at how she made them. I think I finally figured it out. So here it is. I hope you enjoy it. Prep time includes 5 minutes sitting time if you have to make your own buttermilk. Posted on October 12th 2005.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2 cups self-rising flour
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 cup buttermilk (if you don't have buttermilk,use 1 cup milk with 1 tablespoon lemon juice, let sit 5 minutes)
- 1Pre-heat oven to 425°F.
- 2In a medium sized bowl, add flour and shortening.
- 3Cut in shortening until it looks like coarse breadcrumbs.
- 4Add buttermilk and stir until soft dough forms.
- 5Pour onto a board floured with 1/3 cup flour.
- 6Roll into a ball and lightly knead for about 5 minutes.
- 7Gently pat out dough until about 1/3 inch thick.
- 8Using a 1 1/2 to 2 inch round biscuit cutter, cut out biscuits.
- 9Re-knead remaining scraps to make more biscuits.
- 10Place on ungreased cookie sheet, about an inch apart.
- 11Bake at 425°F for 15 to 20 minutes or until desired color is reached.
- 12For gravy:.
- 13In a medium sized skillet, melt shortening until hot but not smoking.
- 14Add 1/3 cup flour and stir until it looks like a paste.
- 15Add 1/2 cup milk; stir until smooth.
- 16Add rest of milk, stirring with wire whisk constantly until all lumps are gone.
- 17Add salt and pepper to taste.
- 18Turn off heat and let sit for 5 minutes to thicken.
Browse Our Top Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Buttermilk Biscuits and Pepper Gravy
Serving Size: 1 (209 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 506.4
- Calories from Fat 266
- Total Fat 29.5 g
- Saturated Fat 9.5 g
- Cholesterol 13.0 mg
- Sodium 1607.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 50.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 2.0 g
- Protein 9.9 g