Recipe by Mudpie
These biscuits are good with just about anything! Jam, biscuits and gravy, eggs or S.O.S.
- 3 cups flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter, cold
- 1 cup buttermilk
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium mixing bowl combine flour, baking powder, sugar, salt and cream of tartar.
- Using pastry blender or fingers, cut in cold butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Make a well in the center of dry mixture.
- Add buttermilk all at once to dry mixture.(May have to add an extra 1 to 3 tablespoons of buttermilk if it seems dry).
- Using a fork, stir just until moistened.
- Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface.
- Knead dough 6 times by folding and gently pressing.
- Lightly pat dough to 3/4 inch thickness.
- Cut dough with a floured 3 inch biscuit cutter.
- Place biscuits on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake 450 degree F. oven for 9 to 12 minutes or until tops are lightly golden.