Prep 15 mins
Cook 12 mins
My husband makes these quite often. They are great.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 5 tablespoons chilled vegetable shortening
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda.
- Using a pastry blender or 2 knives, cut the shortening into the flour mixture until coarse crumbs form.
- Add the buttermilk, tossing with a fork until a dough forms.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface.
- Gather into a disk.
- Knead lightly a few times just until smooth.
- (The dough can be made up to 2 hours ahead, wrapped in plastic wrap, and refrigerated until ready to use).
- Pat the dough to 3/4 inch thick.
- Using a biscuit cutter or a glass dipped in flour, cut out biscuits.
- Place the biscuits, on an ungreased baking sheet, 2 inches apart.
- Gather dough trimmings, pat to 3/4 inch thick and cut out more biscuits.
- Bake the biscuits until golden, 12-15 minutes.
- Serve hot.