Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Very tender and light. Good served hot with butter or molasses.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (I use unbleached)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- Combine flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda.
- Cut in shortening.
- Add buttermilk and mix lightly just until a ball is formed.
- Knead very briefly.
- Put on a lightly floured board and roll out to approximately 1/2" thick.
- Cut with a floured biscuit cutter.
- Gather scraps together and re-roll and cut.
- Put on a lightly greased cookie sheet and bake in a preheated 400F oven for 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned.
These are great biscuits and easy to make. If I don't have buttermilk I substitute milk with a teaspoon of vinegar. That sours the milk just enough to replace buttermilk. Fresh strawberries, ice cream, and biscuits are my favorite.
I'm teaching myself how to bake & These were fun to make!!! i'm excited with how they turned out! they came out flaky and perfectly moist. thanks for the recipe!!
Awesome!!!! I fix them all the time.