Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
from "food nouveau" - http://foodnouveau.com/2010/11/26/breakfast-brunch/the-perfect-banana-bread/
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice or 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons melted butter or 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 large egg white
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 cup mashed banana (about 2 very ripe medium-sized bananas)
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat buttermilk or 1⁄2 cup low-fat sour cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons of strong espresso coffee, cooled (mixed with 3 tbsp water) or 1 tablespoon instant espresso powder (mixed with 3 tbsp water)
- Butter a bread pan or a 9-inch square pan. Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Sift together in a bowl the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and allspice (or cinnamon). Mix in the sugar.
- In a large bowl, mix together the butter, egg white, egg, banana puree, buttermilk or sour cream, vanilla and espresso.
- Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and stir in the wet ingredients with a spatula until almost mixed. Add in your choice of additions if desired and stir until just combined, but don’t overstir: stop when any traces of flour disappear.
- Scrape the mixture into the prepared pan. Bake the bread for 60 minutes or the square cake for 40 minutes. The center must feel lightly-springy and just done. Cool on a baking rack and enjoy with a good cup of coffee.