Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This makes three loaves; it's my favorite banana bread recipe. Very moist and banana-y.
- 2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 4 eggs
- 4 cups mashed bananas (8-10 large ripe ones)
- 3 cups cake flour
- 1 cup regular white flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄3 cup pecans (optional)
- Spray three loaf pans.
- Cream together sugar, butter and shortening. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing. Add bananas and mix well.
- Sift together flours, baking soda, salt and baking powder.
- Gradually add flour mixture to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with dry things. Use a light hand, mixing just enough to mix each time.
- Fold in nuts if using.
- Bake at 350 for 45-50 minutes. Cool in pans 10 minutes. Turn onto racks on their sides to cool completely.
I have tried many banana bread recipes. This is without a doubt the best. Moist and delicious but not very healthy.
As promised, very moist and full of bananas. Ours fell away from the sides of the pan toward the center, and there was no clear moment when it was "done" and not overdone, but the flavor was very fine. Made for Zaar World Tour 5.
this is some awesome banana bread! I added in chopped walnuts in place of pecans and baked mine in mini loaf pans, these taste even better if wrapped and left until the next day, thanks for sharing Debbie!