Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
By choice...bacon will be my death. An adapted recipe from Martha Hall Foose's "Screen Doors & Sweet Tea".
- 236.59 ml granulated sugar
- 118.29 ml packed light brown sugar
- 118.29 ml buttermilk
- 14.79 ml light corn syrup
- 2.46 ml baking soda
- 1.23 ml kosher salt
- 59.16 ml unsalted butter (1/2 stick)
- 2.46 ml vanilla extract
- 2.46 ml grated orange zest (optional)
- 236.59 ml chopped pecans
- 4 slice bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled (microwave to make it easy)
- In a heavy-bottomed pot or saucepan, combine the sugar, brown sugar, corn syrup, buttermilk, baking soda and kosher salt. Cook over medium heat for about 20 minutes (do not stir or it will become grainy) or until the mixture reaches the soft-ball stage, 235 degrees on a candy thermometer. Note: Check your thermometer prior to making.
- Remove from heat and stir in the butter, vanilla, pecans, orange zest and bacon. Beat vigorously with a wooden spoon until creamy and smooth. Careful, it's hot.
- Drop the praline mixture by teaspoonfuls onto a silicone baking mat; if you don't have one, simply use buttered parchment or wax paper. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes or until cooled. Store in an airtight container.