Recipe by Normaone
This is an old recipe from my Bon Appetit magazines. It is intended to be a brunch dish but it would make a nice change of pace anytime. The overnight chilling is not reflected in the cook or prep times.
Top Review by Chef AprilAllYear
I'm sorry, but this was a disappointment and waste of ingredients, time and energy (mine and the oven's). I did use regular rather than tart apples, but that shouldn't make that big of a difference. I was trying to use up some buttermilk I had in the fridge -- I guess I did.
- 1 lb wide egg noodles
- 1⁄2 cup butter, room temperature
- 5 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 large tart green apple, peeled,cored,chopped
- 5 ounces dried apricots, quartered
- 2 tablespoons golden raisins
- 4 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup corn flake crumbs
- 3⁄4 cup lightly packed golden brown sugar
- 5 tablespoons melted butter
- sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Butter a 13x9x2 inch glass baking dish.
- Cook noodles in a pot of boiling salted water until al dente.
- Drain noodles and return to the pot.
- Add the 1/2 c butter and toss until melted and noodles are coatedl Beat eggs and sugar in a medium bowl to blend and mix into the noodles.
- Fold in apple, apricot, and raisins.
- Spread noodle mixture into the prepared pan.
- Pour buttermilk evenly over noodles.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350^F.
- Remove plastic wrap from noodles and bake uncovered 45 minutes.
- Combine the cornflake crumbs, brown sugar and 5T melted butter in a bowl.
- Remove dish from oven and spoon topping evenly over noodles.
- Return to oven and continue baking until top is golden brown and crisp, about 30 minutes longer.
- Let stand 10 minutes.
- Cut into squares and serve with sour cream.