Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
If you've never made a yeasted coffeecake, give it a try. It's a yummy cross between a pastry and a cake, with a delicious topping. It only has to rise for 45 minutes, so it's very do-able for weekends. (Rising time is included in the cooking time below.)
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packets dry yeast
- 1⁄2 cup lukewarm water
- 1 pinch sugar
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 4 cups flour
- 3 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 pinch salt
- In a pyrex mixing bowl, combine milk, 1/2 c sugar, salt and 1/2 c butter. Heat in microwave until butter is melted.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, dissolve both packets of yeast into warm water with the pinch of sugar.
- Measure flour into another mixing bowl. Add eggs and stir to just combine. When butter has melted, add the liquid to the flour mixture and stir a little. Then add yeast and stir enough so that all ingredients are combined.
- Grease a 10x13 pan and spread dough in pan. Let rise in a warm place for 45 minutes.
- While dough is rising, preheat oven to 375 degrees. Also, mix together the topping ingredients and sprinkle over the dough.
- Place in oven over a halfsheet to catch any syrup that runs over the top. Bake for 22-27 minutes or until the top is golden and syrupy. Be careful not to overbake.
This was a good bit dry & it was very yeasty.
This is HEAVENLY! I could not believe how wonderful this tasted fresh out of the pan. I totally agree with Engrosed that this is best while still warm (though we do have leftovers and will try them out reheated to see if it is as good). It reminds me of something from my childhood that I used to love, though I cannot quite put my finger on it. At any rate, this is beyond easy and beyond delicious and anyone who loves a good yeasty cinnamon roll should try this for a quick fix!
This is soo Good~ I surprised my DH by making this for breakfast. He loved this! So easy to make not what I was expecting, which is good. Did I mention how good this smells......I have to take some over to my stepson. He is going to love this..