1/17 Photos of Butterhorns Aka Rugelach / Rugulach / Snails / Schnecken
One of my favorite cookies of all time, these are fabulous warm from oven, but also keep well in an airtight container. My Hungarian/Austrian Grandmom called these "Butterhorns", an aunt on the other side called her version "Schnecken" and I have seen versions of this also under "Rugelach" or "Rululach". It really does not matter what they are called, they are AWESOME!!!! (Chill time not included)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup butter, at room temp
- 8 ounces cream cheese, at room temp
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 1 egg white, beaten with
- 1 tablespoon water (for glazing)
- granulated sugar (for sprinkling)
- 1Cream butter, cream cheese, and sugar until soft.
- 2Sift in the flour and mix to make a soft dough.
- 3Divide dough into 4 equal balls, flatten each one and wrap in wax paper.
- 4Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- 5Make the filling by mixing all ingredients in a small bowl.
- 6Preheat oven to 375*.
- 7Working with one disk of dough at a time, roll thinly on a lightly floured surface into a circle, about 9" in diameter.
- 8Brush the surface with the egg white glaze and sprinkle the dough with 1/4 of the filling.
- 9Slice the dough with a sharp knife or pizza cutter into quarters and then each quarter into 4 equal sections, to form 16 triangles.
- 10Starting from the base of each triangle, roll up to form spirals.
- 11You can curve them into crescents if you like.
- 12Continue with the other 3 disks of dough.
- 13Place on baking sheets and brush with egg white glaze.
- 14Sprinkle lightly with granulated sugar.
- 15Bake until just golden, about 10 minutes.
- 16For 32 extra large butterhorns, divide the dough in half instead of fourths and roll each disk into a 12 inch circle and use half the filling.
- 17Continue as above but bake for 15-20 minutes.
Browse Our Top Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Butterhorns Aka Rugelach / Rugulach / Snails / Schnecken
Serving Size: 1 (990 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 71.1
- Calories from Fat 47
- Total Fat 5.3 g
- Saturated Fat 2.6 g
- Cholesterol 11.5 mg
- Sodium 38.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 5.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 1.9 g
- Protein 0.9 g