Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This recipe has been in our family for many years. They are a tad bit tedious but very much worth it.
- In large bowl; measure flour, butter, sour cream, salt, baking powder, ½ cup sugar, and 1 egg yolk (place egg white in small bowl set aside)
- With spoon stir until blended and mixture holds together (also works in the mixer, just be sure to cream the butter first).
- Shape into ball and wrap in plastic wrap chill 2-3 hours until firm.
- In small bowl stir walnuts cinnamon and ½ cup sugar set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Roll out 1/3 of dough to 1/8-thick; use 10-inch round plate as guide.
- Spread egg white with pastry brush on circle.
- Cut into 12 equal wedges, using a pizza cutter to do this makes this step a lot easier.
- Spread walnut mixture and roll starting at curved edge.
- Place cookies point side down about 1 1/2- inches apart.
- In cup beat 1 egg and ½ teaspoon sugar.
- Brush cookies.
- Bake 15-20 minutes.
Absolutey fantastic recipe. Thank you so much for posting it. I have actually made these for 3 Christmases now and forgot to rate them. My dad asks me to make them specifically, and they're my daughters favorite. I make them exactly as the recipe says and they're perfect. I chop the nuts in the food processor which works great. Everyone that tries them wants more!!!
My family has made these cookies for over 60 years. The only a couple things are different in our recipe. One is that we use pecans. We also we make a meringue out of the egg white and sugar and pecan and put that in the inside of the crescents. As they bake, the meringue puffs out from the sides and gets crunchy and beautiful, golden brown. Sure to be a definite favorite in your family.
I have always had good results with the recipes that I've gotten from Zaar, but WOW, something went wrong with this one. I followed the directions to a T and even with having had to add more flour, the dough was still too sticky and fell apart. I was able to get some of the cookies to hang together and went ahead and baked the scraps. So I'm giving it a star for the flavor which was very good. Sorry.