Recipe by Mimi in Maine
Do the kids like to watch the butterflies? They will find this salad fun. You can talk about insects while they eat.
- 1 piece of crisp lettuce
- 1 slice canned pineapple
- 1 dates or 1 prunes or 1 apple
- 2 raisins
- 2 pieces licorice whips (short pieces)
- 4 slices olives or 4 slices cherries
Directions See How It's Made
- ARRANGE AS FOLLOWS:.
- Put lettuce on a plate.
- Cut the pineapplie slice in half and put the rounded sides touching in the middle of the lettuce--these are the wings.
- Use a date, prune, or apple slice for the body and place it in the middle of the pineapple slice.
- The two raisins are the eyes that you can tuck under the date.
- Curl the two licorice whips and make them to come out the middle of the wings just under the head--these are antennae (OR you could use curled celery).
- Decorate the wings with the olives or cherry slices (or whatever else you could think of).