Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is from my 365 Ways to Cook Vegetarian cookbook. This can be made a day ahead of time. Prep time does not include 15 minutes of “rest” time before unmolding. I think this could be a good vegetarian OAMC recipe.
- 1 lb farfalle pasta (bowtie)
- 3 tablespoons pesto sauce
- 4 ounces butter
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 3⁄4 cup white wine
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 2 tablespoons minced onions
- 3 cups jarlsberg cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup peas
- 2 tablespoons imitation bacon bits
- Preheat oven to 350. In a large pot with boiling water, cook pasta 10-12 minutes. Drain. Rinse under cold running water and drain again. Transfer to a large bowl and toss with pesto.
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add flour and cook, stirring 1-2 minutes. Whisk in wine and cook, stirring, until wine is absorbed, 2-3 minutes. Whisk in milk all at once and continue whisking until sauce is thick and smooth, 4-5 minutes.
- Add half-and-half, onion, cheeses, salt, pepper and peas. Cook, stirring, until cheeses melt, 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Spoon half of the pasta over the bottom of a lightly greased 9-inch springform pan. Cover with half of the cheese sauce. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the bacon bits over the sauce. Top with the remaining pasta. Spread on the remaining sauce and sprinkle the remaining bacon bits over all.
- Bake 40-45 minutes, until the top is nicely browned. Let stand at least 15 minutes before unmolding or cutting.