Recipe by DoveChocolatierinKY
"From Aunt Sandra, a fabulous Alabama cook. This recipe, alongside baked French Toast, is wonderful to have on deck for overnight guests or busy mornings, like Christmas!" Posted in Courier Journal, Wednesday Oct 1st, 2008
- 6 slices bread, white or 6 slices whole wheat bread
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine, as much as you need
- 1 lb pork sausage, any type
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 6 eggs
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Trim the crusts off the bread.
- Lightly spread both the front and back of each slice with butter or margarine.
- Place buttered bread evenly in a greased 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, cook sausage until browned, breaking it into small pieces.
- Drain off excess grease.
- Spoon cooked sausage over bread slices, and sprinkle cheese over the sausage.
- Beat eggs with an electric mixer until fluffy.
- Mix in half-and-half and salt.
- Pour egg mixture over bread slices.
- Cover dish, and refrigerate overnight.
- The next morning, remove casserole from refrigerator 15 minutse before baking, while oven is heating to 350.
- Bake uncovered for 45 minutes or until eggs have set.
- Serves 6 as a main course, 8-10 as a side dish.