Recipe by 12345678980123455677889
Easy, versatile and impressive! My mom made these when I was growing up. She used simple products we had on-hand.I will give the "classic" recipe (the one my mom used which is my favorite), but this recipe is more of a technique because the combinations you can use are endless!Enjoy!
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) box white cake mix (or any other flavor)
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 eggs
- 1 (16 -20 ounce) can lemon pie filling (or any other flavor)
- 1⁄3 cup powdered sugar (icing sugar)
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare the cake mix according to manufacturers instructions. Pour into muffin pans lined with paper "baking cups" to prevent sticking to the pan while baking.
- Bake according to the manufacturers instructions and allow to fully cool. You should yield 12 - 24 cupcakes depending on the brand.
- Once totally cooled, cut the top off of the cupcake right above the part where the cupcake "mushrooms" -- Not Below!
- Place the tops to the side as they will be used later to top the cupcake (they are not "scraps" -- so do not eat!).
- Using a small pairing knife, cut a small circle on the top of the cupcake. Use a spoon to scoop cake from out of the hole (about a tablespoons worth).
- Fill the hole with pie filling (if the hole is about a tablespoon, then use 2 tablespoons of filling). Spread the excess filling over the top of the cupcake.
- Take one of the cupcake tops that was cut off earlier and cut it in half down the middle to create 2 half circles. Place the half circles with the rounded side facing "in" and the smooth baked side facing "up" back on top of the filled cupcakes. This will form a "Butterfly" shape on top of your cakes.
- Dust with powdered sugar.