Prep 2 hrs
Cook 35 mins
Emerging from a 13- x 9-inch pan, this bright idea comes from Taste of Home. I made this beautiful cake for my DD's 6th birthday. I admit that I did not make the recipe for the cake as she requested carrot cake, but I am posting for the design..... The work time is a guess - it depends on how creative you get and how fast you decorate.
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 1⁄2 cups cake flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
FROSTING or DECORATING
- 1 cup shortening
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, softened
- 4 1⁄2 cups confectioners' sugar, divided
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 -5 tablespoons milk
- your desired color of paste food coloring
- colored sprinkles
- decorating bag
- ziploc bag
- pastry dough, tip- # 98 shell and # 5 round
- black licorice
- In a mixing bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt; add alternately with milk to creamed mixture. Beat in vanilla.
- Pour into a waxed paper-lined 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in. baking pan.
- Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes or until cake tests done.
- Cool completely.
- For frosting, cream shortening and butter until light and fluffy.
- Gradually beat in 2 cups confectioners' sugar; add salt,extracts and 3 tablespoons milk.
- Beat in remaining sugar.
- If necessary,add additional milk, a tablespoon at a time, until frosting reaches desired consistency.
- Remove 2 cups; set aside.
- Tint remaining frosting with desired color of food coloring.
- To make butterfly, cut a 1-in. wide strip of cake from the 9-in. side.
- Place a toothpick in the center of remaining cake.
- Using string, divide cake into four triangles, holding string at opposite corners.
- Depress string slightly into cake to mark cutting line; repeat for remaining corners.
- Cut cake along cutting lines.
- Place the 1-in. strip of cake in the center of a 20-in. x 15-in. serving board to be the butterfly body.
- Frost top and sides of body with desired color of frosting. (I frosted the whole cake white and used coconut that I tinted black for the body and colored glittery sprinkles for the wings.).
- Place two small triangles next to the body for bottom wings.
- Place two larger triangles for top wings. Frost sides and tops of wings with desired color of frosting.
- Smooth frosting with a warm spatula.
- Decorate edges of cake with white frosting, using a pastry bag and shell tip.
- Mark circles on wings with the top of a 2-in. plastic cup. (I drew mine -free form - in frosting with a toothpick).
- Sprinkle jimmies or sprinkles in circles; outline with frosting, using round tip.
- Cut licorice into four small pieces; push ends into top of body for antennae. (We can't stand black licorice - I used pipe cleaners.).
- Place candles on the body.
- Yield: 16-20 servings.