1/1 Photo of Butterflies, Ladybird and Dragonfly Cupcakes/Fairycakes
My daughter's reception(age 5) classes are named after these insects, so when they had a bake sale for charity, I made these(with her help) and they went down a storm! And we had a lot of fun icing them. Use what chocolate you can get for the details. I used ready-to-use icing writing tube for speed, but you could make your own and pipe it on.
My Private Note
fairy c ...
Units: US | Metric
For the cupcakes
- 250 g butter, softened
- 500 g icing sugar
- 1 tablespoon hot water
- 1 tablespoon vanilla essence
- food coloring, 3 colours (I used red, yellow and blue liquid)
- 1 (40 g) package white writing icing
- 1 (40 g) package black writing icing
- 1 (40 g) package any colour writing icing (butterfly wings)
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips
- 20 chocolate sticks (I used matchmakers)
- 1/2 cup chocolate-covered raisins
- 1/4 cup hundreds and thousands
- 1FOR THE CUPCAKES:.
- 2Preheat oven to 150 deg celcius.
- 3Sieve flour then add the rest of the ingredients.
- 4Bind the mixture on slow speed, then faster for 1 minute(until it looks creamy).
- 5Spoon into cupcake papers in fairycake sized trays.
- 6Bake for about 15 minutes.
- 7FOR THE ICING:.
- 8Mix the ingredients - except the colouring - in a bowl on low speed, then increase speed until light and fluffy.
- 9Divide mix approximately into 3 bowls.
- 10Add a few drops of colouring to each bowl, one bowl for each colour, and mix each bowl of icing well with a spoon.
- 11FOR THE BUTTERFLIES:.
- 12Ice each fairycake with the yellow icing.
- 13Break a chocolate stick into the right length for it's body and place.
- 14Pipe the outline of the wings.
- 15Fill wings with hundreds and thousands.
- 16Add a chocolate-covered raisin for each head.
- 17Pipe on white eyes with black pupils.
- 18FOR THE LADYBIRDS:.
- 19Ice each fairycake with the red icing.
- 20Place a chocolate-covered raisin for each head.
- 21Pipe on white eyes with black pupils.
- 22Pipe wing shape with black icing.
- 23Place chocolate chips for the spots.
- 24FOR THE DRAGONFLIES:.
- 25Ice each cake with the blue icing.
- 26Place a long piece of chocolate stick for the body.
- 27Place a chocolate-covered raisin for the head.
- 28Pipe on white eyes with black pupils.
- 29Pipe on white wings.
You Might Also Like...View All Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Butterflies, Ladybird and Dragonfly Cupcakes/Fairycakes
Serving Size: 1 (144 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 287.9
- Calories from Fat 139
- Total Fat 15.5 g
- Saturated Fat 9.5 g
- Cholesterol 64.3 mg
- Sodium 229.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 28.7 g
- Protein 1.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
hundreds and thousands