This recipe, submitted by Elise Lalor from Issaquah, WA, was the 2009 Judges’ Choice and $10,000 winner(representing the Pacific region) in the 2009 Chicken Cooking contest put on by the National Chicken Council.
- 1 whole chicken, back bone and breast bone removed and flattened
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 5 sprigs rosemary
- 10 long sprigs thyme
- 10 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup sherry wine vinegar
- 1 lemon, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons adobo sauce from canned chipotle peppers (use more or less depending on heat level desired)
- 2 tablespoons toasted sliced almonds
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Sprinkle the chicken with kosher salt and pepper.
- On a cookie sheet, place rosemary sprigs, thyme sprigs and garlic. Arrange flattened chicken on top and sprinkle with olive oil. Place chicken in 400° F oven for 20 minutes. Pour sherry vinegar over chicken and cook additional 15 minutes. Place lemon slices over chicken.
- In a small bowl, mix together the honey and chipotle sauce. Brush over lemon slices. Bake chicken additional 10-15 minutes, brushing with honey sauce (use foil to cover chicken if it starts to burn).
- Test for doneness by inserting an instant read thermometer into the thickest part of the thigh. It should register 180°F
- Remove chicken to platter and sprinkle with almonds and parsley. Enjoy!