Recipe by Sharon123
This recipe, submitted by Elise Lalor from Issaquah, WA, was the 2009 Judges’ Choice and $10,000 winner(representing the Pacific region) in the 2009 Chicken Cooking contest put on by the National Chicken Council.
Top Review by teresas
This is to die for delicious! I made as posted and did use the sherry wine vinegar which is just cooking sherry wine. The chicken came out so moist and full of good flavor. My personal option is to delete the almonds and parsley. I think they are only there for presentation not for flavor.I used half of the posted ingredients of the almonds and parsley. And they seemed to cover most of the chicken. I used a 4 lb chicken and cooked it an additional 10 mins during step 2. I also drizzled the honey chipotle sauce on the chicken instead of brushing because it just seemed easier. I tasted the sauce and it was spicy but once it hit the chicken and cooked it lost it spiciness. :( That was the only disappointment in this recipe. Once it was plated I decided to pour the juices from the cookie sheet on the chicken. Yum! This is a keeper and a must make. PUT IT ON YOUR BUCKET LIST! Thanks for posting.
- 1 whole chicken, back bone and breast bone removed and flattened
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 5 sprigs rosemary
- 10 long sprigs thyme
- 10 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup sherry wine vinegar
- 1 lemon, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons adobo sauce from canned chipotle peppers (use more or less depending on heat level desired)
- 2 tablespoons toasted sliced almonds
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Sprinkle the chicken with kosher salt and pepper.
- On a cookie sheet, place rosemary sprigs, thyme sprigs and garlic. Arrange flattened chicken on top and sprinkle with olive oil. Place chicken in 400° F oven for 20 minutes. Pour sherry vinegar over chicken and cook additional 15 minutes. Place lemon slices over chicken.
- In a small bowl, mix together the honey and chipotle sauce. Brush over lemon slices. Bake chicken additional 10-15 minutes, brushing with honey sauce (use foil to cover chicken if it starts to burn).
- Test for doneness by inserting an instant read thermometer into the thickest part of the thigh. It should register 180°F
- Remove chicken to platter and sprinkle with almonds and parsley. Enjoy!