Gay Gilmore's Note:
From Alton Brown
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 teaspoons black peppercorns
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 lemon, zested
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, cut into 3 to 4-inch pieces
- 3 carrots, cut into 3 to 4-inch pieces
- 3 stalks celery, cut into 3 to 4-inch pieces
- 3 -4 lbs broiler-fryer chickens
- 1 cup red wine
- 8 ounces chicken stock
- 2 -3 sprigs thyme
- canola oil
- 1Position the oven rack 8 inches from the flame/coil and turn broiler to high.
- 2Crack peppercorns with a mortar and pestle until coarsely ground.
- 3Add garlic and salt and work well.
- 4Add lemon zest and just enough oil to form a paste.
- 5Cut vegetables into pieces and place in a deep roasting pan.
- 6Place chicken on a plastic cutting board breast-side down.
- 7Using kitchen shears, cut ribs down one side of back bone and then the other and remove.
- 8Open chicken like a book and remove the keel bone separating the breast halves by slicing through the thin membrane covering it, then by placing two fingers underneath the bone and levering it out.
- 9Turn chicken breast-side up and spread out like a butterfly by pressing down on the breast and pulling the legs towards you.
- 10Loosen the skin at the neck and the edges of the thighs.
- 11Evenly distribute the garlic mixture under the skin, saving 2 teaspoons for the jus.
- 12Drizzle the skin with oil and rub in, being sure to cover the bird evenly.
- 13Drizzle oil on bone side of chicken as well.
- 14Arrange bird in roasting pan, breast up, atop vegetables.
- 15Place pan in oven being sure to leave the oven door ajar.
- 16Check bird in 10 minutes.
- 17If the skin is a dark mahogany, hold the drumstick ends with paper towels and flip bone-side up.
- 18Cook 12-15 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees.
- 19Juices must run clear.
- 20Remove and place chicken into a deep bowl and cover loosely with foil.
- 21Tilt pan so that any fat will pool at corner.
- 22Siphon this off with a bulb baster.
- 23(This fat is great in vinaigrettes).
- 24Set pan over 2 burners set on high.
- 25Deglaze pan with a few shots of red wine and scrape brown bits from bottom using a carrot chunk held with tongs.
- 26Add chicken stock, thyme, the remaining garlic paste and reduce briefly to make a jus.
- 27Strain out vegetables and discard.
- 28Slice chicken onto plates or serve in quarters.
- 29Sauce lightly with jus and serve.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Butterflied Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (385 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 848.4
- Calories from Fat 470
- Total Fat 52.2 g
- Saturated Fat 14.9 g
- Cholesterol 257.0 mg
- Sodium 670.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 5.5 g
- Protein 66.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: