Prep 2 mins
Cook 30 mins
This sounds perfect for my Australia Day menu.You can cut down on the prep time by asking your butcher to bone and butterfly the leg.
- 1 1⁄2 kg leg of lamb, boned and butterflied
- 5 garlic cloves, crushed and chopped
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 large lemon, juice of
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- Mix garlic, paprika, oregano, 2 tablespoons of lemon juice and oil in a dish large enough to accommodate the butterflied lamb (or use a snaplock bag -- much easier).
- Score the fatty top of the lamb well.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Put lamb in marinade and refrigerate for three hours minimum (overnight is tastier).
- Remove from fridge 30 minutes before you want to cook it.
- Preheat your barbecue grill on high then reduce to medium high. Place the lamb skin side down for 10 minutes. Turn and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium low. Cover lamb with either bbq hood or an upturned baking tray. Cook for 15 minutes for medium or longer if you like your lamb well done.
- Remove from heat and cover loosely with foil, rest in a warm place for 10 minutes. Slice across the grain and serve.
Bones the leg and had it marinating in the fridge expecting the DH would be cooking on the barbie (I do not barbie cook - that is solely his domain) but he got called out on night shift so it got put on a rack in a roasting pan with some water in the bottom, lid put on and baked for 30 minutes at 200C fan forced, lid removed and temperature reduced to 175C and most of liquid poured off into a jug and then roasted for a further hour so that the thick part of the lamb were still pink and the thin parts were well done (the pan is deep). I made a gravy using the liquid and oh I also added a couple sprigs of rosemary to the mix, in future though I would only use about half of the liquid and top off with stock as the lemon taste came over a little strong in the gravy but still enjoyed. Thank you Fairy Nuff for a succulent lamb dinner, made for ZAAR Chef Alphabet tag game.