1/2 Photos of Buttered Spinach and Rice
pattikay in L.A.'s Note:
This is an interesting variation on the basic rice side dish from Taste of the Caribbean by Rosamund Grant. It is tasty all on its own, but unassuming enough to serve with a spicier dish to top it off. Note: The original recipe called for 2 1/2 cups basmati rice with 2 1/2 cups of water - I used that same amount of water with just a little over 1 cup of regular long grain rice and it was just right. Collard greens could also be used in place of the spinach.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1melt butter in a saucepan with tight-fitting lid.
- 2Gently saute the onion for 3 or 4 minutes.
- 3Stir in the chopped tomatoes.
- 4Add the rice and crushed garlic, gently cook for 5 minutes.
- 5Gradually add the stock or water, stirring constantly.
- 6Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 7Cover and simmer gently for 10-15 minutes, till rice is almost cooked, then reduce heat to low.
- 8Spread the spinach in a thick layer over the rice.
- 9Cover the pan and cook over low heat, 5-8 minutes, till spinach has wilted and rice is tender.
Browse Our Top Long-Grain Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Buttered Spinach and Rice
Serving Size: 1 (140 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 286.0
- Calories from Fat 84
- Total Fat 9.4 g
- Saturated Fat 5.6 g
- Cholesterol 22.9 mg
- Sodium 140.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 2.4 g
- Protein 6.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: