Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
A goodie from BC. Great for the holidays.
- 6 cups apple cider
- 1⁄2 teaspoon whole cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 6 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup rum
- In a saucepan, add cider, cloves, nutmeg, ground cinnamon, and cinnamon sticks.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; reduce heat; simmer uncovered for 10 minutes.
- Strain mixture to remove cloves and cinnamon sticks.
- In individual mugs (6 mugs total), place 1 tablespoon butter, 1 tablespoon brown sugar, and 2 tablespoons rum.
- Fill each mug with hot cider; stir.
I put the cider into my slow cooker, mixed the brown sugar with softened butter in a separate bowl, and added two tablespoons of the butter/sugar mixture per 9 ounce mug along with the 2 tblsp of rum. I'm not a big drinker (had to dust off the rum bottle) and thought the amount of alcohol was just right. This will be at any gathering at my home during cold weather.
We finally got cool weather here in Central Texas, so we built a fire in the firepit outside, and made up 4 servings of this delicious cider. My thought was that I'd keep half warm on the stove, so I only prepared 2 mugs (with 1 tbsp of br. sugar, 1 tbsp butter, and 2 tbsp rum in each.). However, I must have larger mugs, as the four servings fit into 2 mugs! Hubby would have preferred more rum, but I thought that proportion was great! Thank you so much!
I made myself one of these tonight while cooking dinner. I scaled the recipe down for 1 serving. It was snowing this morning and our high was only 30 for the day and now that the sun has gone down its even colder so this warmed me up from the inside. Great recipe I will be making this again for sure, thanks for posting a great recipe!