Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a rich dessert that works well for company since you can make it ahead and warm up before serving. Rum and raisins add a spectacular twist to old fashioned apple crisp.
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1⁄2 cup quick oatmeal
- 1 cup flour
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 6 tablespoons chilled butter
- 1⁄3 cup melted unsalted butter
- 1 cup raisins, soaked in
- 1⁄4 cup rum or 1⁄4 cup port wine or 1⁄4 cup cognac
- 4 -6 large granny smith apples or 4 -6 large golden delicious apples, peeled cored,quartered and sliced
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- vanilla ice cream or whipped cream (to garnish)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Lightly butter a 9x15-inch baking pan.
- Cut the chilled butter into the oatmeal, sugar, salt, and flour, with a pastry blender or blend in food processor until it is like coarse crumbs; set aside.
- Toss butter with apples, raisins soaked in rum, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Transfer apple mixture to a greased (with butter) baking dish and top with walnut s and flour topping; Sprinkle more walnuts on top.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until crisp.
- Serve hot or warm with ice cream or whipped cream.