Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
Build a Better Burger People’s Choice Award, 2003. Nikki Norman, Milton, Tennessee.
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 2⁄3 cup cabernet sauvignon wine
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup pecan halves
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground buffalo meat
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup TABASCO® brand Chipotle Pepper Sauce
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground tellicherry pepper
- 6 kaiser rolls, split
- 6 slices monterey jack cheese
- 2 teaspoons meat seasoning (Mrs. Dash Steak Grilling Blend)
- 3⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 Hass avocadoes
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 6 red leaf lettuce leaves
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare a medium-hot fire in a charcoal grill with a cover, or preheat a gas grill to medium-high.
- Make the Cabernet cranberries: combine the ingredients in a small bowl; set aside.
- Make buttered pecans: melt the butter in a small skillet on the grill rack; add in the pecans and salt; saute until the nuts are lightly browned, about 6 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat; strain the pecans in a strainer, catching the butter in a small bowl.
- Transfer the pecans to a food processor; grind finely; set the butter aside.
- Make the patties: combine the Cabernet cranberries (including the wine), ground pecans, buffalo, panko, pepper sauce, avocado oil, egg, garlic, salt, and pepper in a big bowl; mix well (handle meat as little as possible to avoid compacting it).
- Divide mixture into 6 equal parts; form into patties to fit the rolls.
- When the grill is ready, brush grill rack with oil.
- Place the patties on the rack, cover, and cook, turning once, until done to preference, 5-7 minutes per side for medium.
- During the last few minutes of cooking, brush the cut sides of the rolls with the butter from cooking the pecans and place them, cut side down, on the outer edges of the rack to toast lightly.
- During the last 2 minutes of cooking, place the cheese on the patties to melt.
- While the burgers are cooking, combine the grilling blend and mayonnaise in a small bowl; mix well.
- Peel, pit, and slice the avocados into 18 slices; dip into lemon juice.
- Assemble burgers: spread the mayonnaise on the cut side of the roll tops.
- On each roll bottom, place a patty, a lettuce leaf, and 3 avocado slices; add the roll tops and serve.