Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a wonderful accompaniment to roasted chicken or lamb.
- 9 ounces shelled fresh peas or 9 ounces frozen peas
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons dry white wine
- 1 shallot, very finely chopped
- 1 fresh bay leaves or 1 dried bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ready made English mustard
- 2 teaspoons double cream
- 4 ounces hard unsalted butter, diced
- 1⁄8 iceberg lettuce, finely shredded
- Boil the peas in salted water until tender, 4 to 5 minutes for fresh or about 3 minutes for frozen.
- Drain and set aside.
- Pour the wine vinegar and wine into a small pan, add the shallot and bay leaf and boil over a high heat until only about a teaspoon of the liquid remains.
- Add themustard and cream and boil for 15 seconds or so, shaking the pan and whisking.
- Still over high heat, gradually add the butter, whisking to make a creamy sauce.
- throw in the lettuce, whisk until it wilts, tip in the peas and reheat.
- Season and serve.