Buttered Peas with Lettuce
- Boil the peas in salted water until tender, 4 to 5 minutes for fresh or about 3 minutes for frozen.
- Drain and set aside.
- Pour the wine vinegar and wine into a small pan, add the shallot and bay leaf and boil over a high heat until only about a teaspoon of the liquid remains.
- Add themustard and cream and boil for 15 seconds or so, shaking the pan and whisking.
- Still over high heat, gradually add the butter, whisking to make a creamy sauce.
- throw in the lettuce, whisk until it wilts, tip in the peas and reheat.
- Season and serve.