Prep 30 mins
Cook 5 mins
This is from the December 2006 edition of Sainsbury's magazine. It is outstanding! The recipe is for 12 servings but I adjusted it to 150g couscous to 250ml of boiling water for two very generous servings. I also used flaked almonds instead of whole blanched almonds. DH said it's the best couscous he's ever had :)
- 3 pomegranates
- 700 g couscous (1 lb 8oz)
- 75 g butter (3oz)
- 2 (100 g) bags blanched almonds
- 1 (25 g) pack fresh coriander, leaves only, chopped
- 0.5 (25 g) pack of fresh mint, leaves only, chopped
- Halve the pomegranates and pick out the seeds. Divide the couscous between two large mixing bowls and pour 570ml (1 pint) boiling water into each one. Cover with a clean cloth and leave for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a frying pan and add the almonds. Cook them until they are golden, stirring now and then. This will only take a few minutes. Keep an eye on them as they can burn quite easily.
- Season the cousous and fluff with a fork. Divide the buttery almonds, pomegranate seeds and herbs between the bowls of couscous and stir.
Beautiful presentation. Looks and tastes very gourmet. Goes really well with any Mediterranean menu. Thanks, HappyBunny.