Recipe by HappyBunny
This is from the December 2006 edition of Sainsbury's magazine. It is outstanding! The recipe is for 12 servings but I adjusted it to 150g couscous to 250ml of boiling water for two very generous servings. I also used flaked almonds instead of whole blanched almonds. DH said it's the best couscous he's ever had :)
- 3 pomegranates
- 700 g couscous (1 lb 8oz)
- 75 g butter (3oz)
- 2 (100 g) bags blanched almonds
- 1 (25 g) pack fresh coriander, leaves only, chopped
- 0.5 (25 g) pack of fresh mint, leaves only, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Halve the pomegranates and pick out the seeds. Divide the couscous between two large mixing bowls and pour 570ml (1 pint) boiling water into each one. Cover with a clean cloth and leave for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a frying pan and add the almonds. Cook them until they are golden, stirring now and then. This will only take a few minutes. Keep an eye on them as they can burn quite easily.
- Season the cousous and fluff with a fork. Divide the buttery almonds, pomegranate seeds and herbs between the bowls of couscous and stir.