Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
Tastes and looks great...another magazine 'find'
- 125 g butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 2 cups flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 50 g butter
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 (70 g) packet sliced almonds
- 2 tablespoons milk
- This recipe uses a loose-bottom cake tin.
- If you dont have one, Fold two long pieces of baking paper and cross them over the base of the cake tin at right angles.
- Then lift cake out when it is cooked.
- Place butter and sugar in a saucepan large enough to mix all the ingredients and heat until butter melts.
- Remove from heat.
- Beat eggs and milk together.
- Add to saucepan with sifted flour and baking powder.
- Mix with a wooden spoon until combined.
- Pour mixture into a baking paper-lined 20cm round loose-bottom cake tin.
- Bake at 180C degrees for 40 minutes.
- Spread topping over and cook a further 10-15 minutes or until the cake is cooked.
- Leave in tin for 10 minutes before lifting out.
- Place butter, sugar and almonds in a saucepan.
- Heat, stirring until the sugar melts.
- Add milk.
- Bring to the boil and boil for 5 minutes.
Very nice cake, and easy to make as well. My husband liked it and asked for another slice! I baked it in a 9x9 pan and got 16 servings .. Thanks for sharing!