Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
If you can stop eating the dough long enough, this makes great shortbread, slightly crisp rather than sandy. It's the best shortbread I've ever made, and the best-tasting dough ever. I daydream about hunks of it frozen into vanilla ice cream. From "In the Sweet Kitchen," by Regan Daley
- 2 1⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2⁄3 cup rice flour or 2⁄3 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups butter, at room temperature
- 2⁄3 cup white sugar
- 2⁄3 cup packed brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup butterscotch chips
- 2⁄3 cup brickle bits or 2⁄3 cup English toffee bits
- Preheat the oven to 325 and butter a 9-by-13-inch or 9-by-11-inch pan.
- Combine the flours and salt in a bowl; in another bowl cream the butter and sugars.
- Add the flour 1/2 cup at a time, using a wooden spoon and your finger tips to work in the last of it, if needed.
- Work in the butterscotch chips and toffee bits, then spread the dough in the pan.
- Bake for 1 hour, then score into bars while hot.
- Let cool, then cut completely.
Can't believe I forgot to rate this. I've made it three times now and went looking for it again tonight. Its awesome. The cookies are crunchy in the best possible way and, yes, the dough is out of this world. Thanks so much for posting. Love this recipe. The only thing that I find I need to do differently is cook it for about 15 minutes less. Maybe because I cook it in glass rather than metal pans, it seems to over-brown and get very hard. Even at 45 minutes in glass, the butterscotch chips near the edges get dark.
I shouldn't have mentioned to my husband, daughter, and visiting best friend about how good the dough is...I fairly had to hold them at bay with a long-handled wooden spoon just to get the dough into the pans and into the oven! This was fabulous! And so was the dough! They sat about inventing ways to incorporate this dough into ice cream. I used all the flour the recipe called for and I'm glad I did with so much butter. The dough was, well, DOUGH, not batter, and I just pressed it into my pans, one clay shortbread mold and the rest in an 8 1/2" glass cake dish. I made this recipe for PAC game. Thanks Fluffer! Wonderful!
It's unanimous...10*'s. Thank you so much for sharing fluffernutter. These are the best cookies. So rich with lots of flavour, yummy. I will certainly be making these easy to make cookies often.