Recipe by Mirj
I got this recipe from a friend. I first had this at her house and was scribbling the recipe down almost immediately. We don't always have butterscotch chips, milk chocolate chips work well with the recipe too.
- 1⁄2 cup unpopped popcorn
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 cup light corn syrup
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1⁄4 cup butterscotch chips
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups peanuts or 2 cups almonds, toasted
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 250 degrees F.
- Grease a 14x10" roasting pan.
- Pop the popcorn.
- Put the nuts and popcorn in a very large bowl.
- Bring the brown sugar, corn syrup and butter to boil, stirring until the sugar is dissolved.
- Reduce the heat and cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in the butterscotch chips, vanilla, baking soda and salt until everything is blended and smooth.
- Working quickly, and using two wooden spoons, pour the syrup over the popcorn and nuts.
- Stir to coat thoroughly.
- Pour the mixture into the pan.
- Bake for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from the oven, cool mixture in pan for about 15 minutes.
- Turn the mixture out of pan onto foil to cool completely.
- Break the popcorn into smaller pieces.
- Store in an airtight containers in cool dry place.