Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
Pillsbury Bake-Off 1968 Grand Prize Winner. Swirls of poppy seed add interest to this lemon pound cake. This recipe originally used a dry frosting mix that is no longer available. Winner: Phyllis Lidert, Fort Lauderdale, FL Phyllis won $25,000
- Heat oven to 350°F
- Beat butter in large bowl until light and fluffy.
- Gradually add 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar, beating until well combined.
- At medium speed, add eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Beat in lemon peel and 3 tablespoons lemon juice.
- Lightly spoon flour into measuring cup; level off.
- At low speed, gradually beat in flour and baking powder; blend well.
- In medium bowl, combine 3 cups batter with poppy seed filling; blend well.
- Spread half of plain batter in bottom of ungreased 10-inch tube pan. Alternately add spoonfuls of poppy seed batter and remaining plain batter.
- Bake at 350°F for 1 hour 15 minutes to 1 hour 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted near center comes out clean.
- Cool 15 minutes; remove from pan. Cool 1 hour or until completely cooled.
- In small bowl, combine glaze ingredients, adding enough lemon juice for desired drizzling consistency; blend until smooth. Drizzle over cake.
- High Altitude (3500-6500 ft),increase flour in cake to 4 1/2 cups. Bake as directed above.