This a recipe for making stiff to thin buttercream icing. Stiff icing is used to make the hard roses found on cakes. Medium icing is used for piping and thin icing is used for piping, crumbing and icing the cake. Direction follow for how to make correct consistency. This is enough icing to cover 1/2 sheet pan or 30 cupcakes and decorations needed.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 11.In a large mixer (kitchenAid is best for the power needed), mix the shortening until smooth and soft on high speed.
- 22.On low speed slowly add the meringue powder, water, flavoring and salt, scraping the sides as needed.
- 33.Start on medium speed to add the confectioner's sugar in small batches. The more sugar added the stiffer the icing gets and you will need to use high speed for the last few cups of confectioner's sugar.
- 4Now you have stiff icing to change the consistency take the finished stiff icing and --
- 5For medium icing add 1t water to 1 cup of icing, or if turning the whole recipe to medium icing, add 3 t of water to the recipe.
- 6For thin icing add 2t of water to 1 cup of icing, or if turning the whole recipe to thin icing, add 6t of water to the finished recipe.
Browse Our Top Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Buttercream Icing for Cakes and Cupcakes
Serving Size: 1 (344 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 3574.5
- Calories from Fat 1846
- Total Fat 205.2 g
- Saturated Fat 51.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 160.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 451.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 444.1 g
- Protein 0.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: