Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
Buttercream frosting, handed down from I don't know how many grannies. Very rich, somewhat time consuming, but it's still as tasty and creamy as ever.
- In a 2 qrt sauce pan mix the cornstarch and sugar.
- Stir in milk and bring to a boil stirring constantly.
- Boil about two (2) to three (3) minutes.
- Remove from heat and quickly stir 1/4 cup of the hot mix into the stirred egg yolk.
- Add egg mixture to hot mix and return to heat, continue boiling for two more minutes.
- Add butter and flavor extract.
- Stir until well blended.
- Cool pudding to room temperature, place some plastic wrap on top of pudding to prevent skin from forming during the cooling process.
- Set out butter to bring to room temperature.
- Butter and pudding should be the same temperature.
- Cream butter in large mixing bowl.
- Add pudding to creamed butter 1 tbsp at the time until all pudding is mixed with butter or the frosting has desired spreading consistency.
- Will frost two (2) nine inch (9") cakes.