Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
This recipe comes from an old church cookbook. And although I'm a fan of chocolate,these yummy bars are scrumptious!
- 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 (6 ounce) package chocolate-covered toffee bits
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a large bowl, beat the margarine, white and brown sugars together until fluffy.
- Add eggs and vanilla, beat well.
- In another bowl, sift flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Add to the creamed mixture, stirring well.
- Fold in butter brickle bits, and chocolate chips.
- Spread in a greased 9x13-inch pan.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Can be frosted with chocolate frosting.
These brownies are gooey and chocolate loaded. I also used butter instead of margarine and 4 toffee candy bars. Very good brownies, I will make these often.
These tasted very good ...most people probably love a warm, gooey brownie, but I prefer mine to have just a slightly firm, chewiness to them. These were sweeter than cookies and tasted even better after they cooled completely. They were absolutely scrumptious even right out of the freezer (I freeze the squares, so I don't eat the whole pan!). I used milk chocolate chips, instead of semi-sweet and used brickle bits, instead of the chocolate covered version. I expected some crunch, but the toffee melts during baking. Next time, I probably would cut back, just a smidge on the white sugar since I use milk chocolate chips. Overall, great recipe!
These would be wonderful with a scoop of ice cream fresh out of the oven. We enjoyed these. Thank you for sharing!