Recipe by Lainey39
These are delicious sandwich cookies that are really elegant served during the holidays or for a wedding. They do require chilling which is not included in the preparation time. Baking time is 12 minutes per batch.
- 1⁄2 vanilla bean
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup raspberry jam or 1⁄2 cup chocolate ganache
- 3 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup heavy cream
Directions See How It's Made
- For vanilla sugar, split vanilla bean; scrape out seeds.
- In small bowl, whisk vanilla bean, seeds and sugar.
- Cover and let stand overnight.
- Cookies: In large bowl, with an electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat butter until creamy, about 3 minutes.
- Beat in sugar until light and fluffy.
- On low speed, beat in flour just until blended.
- Shape dough into a disk; wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm, at least 3 hours or overnight.
- Shape dough into 3/4-inch balls; place on a large rimmed baking sheet and freeze 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Line 2 large cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Place balls on prepared sheets, 1 inch apart.
- Bake 10-12 minutes, or just until firm (do not brown).
- Cool completely on pans on wire racks.
- Spread flat side of half of cookies with jam or chocolate ganache; top with remaining cookies to form sandwiches.
- Roll cookies in vanilla sugar to coat.
- For Chocolate Ganache: Put 3 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped, in a bowl.
- In saucepan, heat 1/3 cup heavy cream over medium-high heat just until small bubbles appear around edge of pan.
- Pour cream over chocolate; whisk until smooth.
- Cool at least 20 minutes, whisking occassionally, or until thickened.
- This chocolate ganache recipe makes about 1/2 cup.