Recipe by Vseward (Chef~V)
These tarts consist of a flaky pastry shell that is filled with a sweet mixture of butter, brown sugar and eggs. Not to be eaten daintily with a fork but picked up and eaten in a few delicious bites
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, chilled, and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄3 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup light cream or 1⁄4 cup half-and-half, 10% butterfat
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup pecans (toasted and chopped) or 1⁄2 cup walnuts (toasted and chopped)
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 cup ice water
Directions See How It's Made
- In a food processor, place the flour, salt, and sugar and process until combined. Add the butter and process until the mixture resembles coarse meal (about 15 seconds). Pour 1/8 cup water in a slow, steady stream, through the feed tube until the dough just holds together when pinched. If necessary, add more water. Do not process more than 30 seconds.
- Turn the dough onto your work surface and gather into a ball. Flatten into a disk, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for about one hour before using.
- After the dough has chilled, place on a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough and cut into 12 - 4 inch rounds. (To prevent the pastry from sticking to the counter and to ensure uniform thickness, keep lifting up and turning the pastry a quarter turn as you roll (always roll from the center of the pastry outwards).) Gently place the rounds into a 12-cup muffin tin. Cover and place in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes to firm up the dough. Next, make the filling.
- Tart Filling:.
- In a medium sized saucepan lightly whisk the eggs. Whisk in the butter, sugar, and cream. Place on medium heat and, stirring constantly, bring this mixture just to a boil.
- Immediately remove from heat and stir in the vanilla extract. Place about a teaspoon chopped nuts into the bottom of each tart shell and then fill the unbaked tart shells with the filling. Bake at 375 degrees F for about 15 - 20 minutes or until the pastry has nicely browned and the filling is set. Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool. Serve at room temperature or chilled.