Recipe by Susan Lee
A great "I Can't Quit Eating This!" snack ready in 10 minutes or less! For those who prefer more of a butter toffee taste for their caramel corn. I tweaked the usual microwave caramel corn recipe so it wouldn't have that Cracker Jack -almost-burned taste. For those who prefer that taste, microwave the popcorn/peanut mix for one more minute.
Top Review by nyerlando
I thought this was great! Easy, fast and not a lot of cleanup. A couple of suggestions... Be sure to pick out the un-popped kernels before adding anything to the popcorn.... Add a 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract and 1/2 tsp. of salt when you stir in the baking soda... After you spread out the finished product on a baking sheet, put it in a preheated 350-degree oven for 10 minutes. Turn off the oven and open the oven door a crack. When the oven is cool in an hour or so, break apart the carmel corn and put it in an airtight container. Really yummy.
- 2 bags of microwavable light butter flavored popcorn
- 1 cup of cocktail peanuts
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1⁄4 cup light corn syrup
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 large brown paper bag
Directions See How It's Made
- Pop one package of microwave popcorn, and pour into a large grocery bag, reserving a small bowl of popcorn so there is lots of toffee to go around.
- Pour one cup of peanuts over popcorn.
- Microwave second bag of popcorn, and pour into bag over other popcorn and peanuts.
- In a microwavable glass bowl, stir together butter, brown sugar and corn syrup.
- Microwave for three minutes.
- Immediately after removing from microwave, stir in baking soda (it will foam a bit) Pour this mixture into the paper bag over the popcorn/peanuts and shake.
- Microwave for one minute.
- Remove bag and shake up.
- Microwave for one more minute.
- Pour Toffee Popcorn/Peanuts out on wax paper, foil or on trays.
- Throw out bag immediately so dog does not eat it!