Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr
These are wonderful. Caramelly and nutty on a buttery crust!
- 1 1⁄2 cups butter, room temperature
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons lemons, zest of
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup cornstarch
- 10 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar, plus
- 2 tablespoons firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup honey
- 1 1⁄2 cups toasted blanched almonds
- 1 1⁄2 cups toasted skinned hazelnuts
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 370F (175C); line 9”x13” pyrex baking dish with foil.
- For pastry: In mixer, cream butter; add sugar and lemon peel and beat until light and fluffy; combine flour, salt and cornstarch in small bowl; mix to blend; add to butter and mix just until dough starts coming together; press dough into baking dish, forming 1 inch high edges; pierce all over with fork.
- Bake until starting to colour, piercing with fork if pastry begins to puff during baking, about 40 minutes; remove from oven, maintaining oven temperature.
- For topping: Combine butter, brown sugar and honey in saucepan; whisk over medium-high heat until mixture comes to boil; boil without stirring until mixture thickens and bubbles enlarge, about 1 minute; mix in almonds and hazelnuts; remove from heat and stir in cream; spread topping in crust; bake until caramel bubbles, about 20 minutes.
- Cool in pan, on rack; remove from pan, using foil as aid; cut into 1 1/2 inch squares; keep in an air-tight container.
With the huge amount of butter in this recipe how could it be bad! This is similar to a Greek recipe I made years ago, I made this as stated with no changes, these were gone in one day, great recipe Ev!...Kitten:)