Recipe by diner524
This another recipe I found in my Land O Lakes Best - Loved Recipes Book. Sounds so delicious!!!
Top Review by Baby Kato
Wow, what a great recipe diner. I too love Land O Lakes, couldn't wait to make this treat. So glad that I left it till now, so it gets the attention it deserves. So very yummy, excellent flavor, great texture, quick and easy to make. I made as written, but baked in two different pans. Made one pan, exactly as written, I used pecan peices and in the other pan I substituted coconut for the nuts. Dh is allergic to nuts, this way we both enjoyed this treat. He loved it as much as I did, both versions were wonderful. My convection gas oven cooks fast, both pans were done in 30 minutes. Thank you so much for sharing. Made for Culinary Quest - Family Picks - 2014 - Suitcase Gourmets.
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup chopped nuts
- 3⁄4 cup English toffee bits (**)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350°F Grease and flour 13x9-inch baking pan.
- Combine butter, sugar and brown sugar in large bowl. Beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often, until creamy. Reduce speed to low; add flour. Beat until well mixed. Reserve 1/2 cup for topping.
- Add buttermilk, egg, baking soda and vanilla to remaining flour mixture. Continue beating until well mixed.
- Pour batter into prepared baking pan. Combine reserved flour mixture, nuts and toffee in medium bowl; sprinkle over batter.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted inches.
- center comes out clean.
- *Substitute 1 tablespoon vinegar or lemon juice plus enough milk to equal 1 cup. Let stand 10 minutes.
- **Substitute 5 (1.4-ounce) chocolate-coated toffee candy bars, finely crushed. Freezing the candy bars makes them easier to crush.