Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
Perfect for breakfast, brunch or just a treat with your coffee in the afternoon...not too bad on the calories either. Yummy, a favorite of mine.
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup chopped nuts
- 3⁄4 cup English toffee bits
- Heat oven to 350°F Combine butter, sugar and brown sugar in large bowl. Beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often, until creamy. Reduce speed to low; add flour. Beat until well mixed. Reserve 1/2 cup for topping.
- Add buttermilk, egg, baking soda and vanilla to remaining flour mixture. Continue beating until well mixed.
- Pour batter into greased and floured 13x9 inch baking pan. Combine reserved flour mixture, nuts and toffee in medium bowl; sprinkle over batter. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- *Substitute 1 tablespoon vinegar plus enough milk to equal 1 cup. Let stand 10 minutes.
This is a wonderful cake and uses ingredients most of us have on hand. Moist (thanks to the buttermilk), tasty and you probably will have guests asking for the recipe. Also freezes well which is important in this house. I would not substitute margarine or shortening for the butter.
Out of habit, I accidentally sifted the flour together with the baking soda and the 1 tablespoon of baking powder that I chose to add. Luckily, the cake still turned out okay. My husband liked it. I topped half the pan with toffee bits only, and the other half with chocolate peanut butter chips mixed with the toffee bits instead of nuts. Thank you for sharing.
I made this on 9/01/08 for the "Breakfast Anytime Photo Challenge 2008 " in the Cooking Photo forum. And I'm also pleased to be the first one to rate this recipe.This is a very easy to make recipe and the directions were "right on the money " .Now to get the most important part of the recipe, the taste.Which was perfect in every way,the amount of sweetness in the cake and topping were perfect. And the cake itself was very moist like a coffee cake should be. I really enjoyed the crunchiness of the toffee pieces along with the slight saltiness of the nuts. This is one cake that will be made again and again. Thanks for posting and, "Keep Smiling :)'