Recipe by Vseward Chef-V
Perfect for breakfast, brunch or just a treat with your coffee in the afternoon...not too bad on the calories either. Yummy, a favorite of mine.
Top Review by waynejohn1234
This is a wonderful cake and uses ingredients most of us have on hand. Moist (thanks to the buttermilk), tasty and you probably will have guests asking for the recipe. Also freezes well which is important in this house. I would not substitute margarine or shortening for the butter.
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup chopped nuts
- 3⁄4 cup English toffee bits
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350°F Combine butter, sugar and brown sugar in large bowl. Beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often, until creamy. Reduce speed to low; add flour. Beat until well mixed. Reserve 1/2 cup for topping.
- Add buttermilk, egg, baking soda and vanilla to remaining flour mixture. Continue beating until well mixed.
- Pour batter into greased and floured 13x9 inch baking pan. Combine reserved flour mixture, nuts and toffee in medium bowl; sprinkle over batter. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- *Substitute 1 tablespoon vinegar plus enough milk to equal 1 cup. Let stand 10 minutes.