Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 2 1⁄2 cups dates, chopped
- 2 1⁄2 cups raisins
- 1 cup currants
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- 3 1⁄2 cups brown sugar
- 2 1⁄2 cups white sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups butter
- 10 eggs
- Melt butter and pour over sugar.
- Beat well.
- Beat egg yolks and mix with all ingredients.
- Beat egg whites and fold in last. Line miniature muffin pans (or use regular ones) with rich pie crust. Put filling in and bake at 350 degrees for 35 min- utes.
- (I always halve this recipe and it makes a lot of Butter Tarts.)
- BUTTER TARTS Pastry For Tarts: 5 cup flour 1 tsp. salt 1 Tbsp sugar 1 tsp. baking powder 2 cup shortening 1 egg 1 Tbsp vinegar 1 tsp. vanilla
- Mix dry ingredients; add shortening and mix well.
- Beat the egg in a measuring cup; add enough lukewarm water to make 3/4 cup liquid.
- Add vanilla and vinegar to this liquid, then mi x into flour, shortening mixture. Treat as pie crust. Cut into circles and place in muffin tins.
- Fill with: 2 eggs 2 Tbsp vinegar 1 tsp. vanilla 2 cup brown sugar (pack) 1 1/2 cup raisins 1/2 cup melted margarine
- Beat eggs in bowl.
- Add brown sugar, vinegar and vanilla.
- Stir in melted butter and raisins.
- Pour in shells about 1/2 full.
- Bake in 350 degrees oven for 15 to 18 minutes.
- Makes about 24 to 30 tarts.