Make and share this Butter Tarts recipe from Food.com.
- 354.88 ml all-purpose flour
- 2.46 ml sugar
- 1.23 ml salt
- 66.55 ml cold butter, cut into bits
- 29.58 ml cold vegetable shortening
- 1 large egg, beaten lightly
- 4.92 ml vanilla
- 59.14 ml butter, melted and cooled
- 236.59 ml firmly packed brown sugar
- 14.79 ml distilled white vinegar
- 59.14 ml raisins (optional)
- Make the shells: In a processor, blend the flour, sugar, salt, butter and shortening until mixture resembles meal; transfer to a bowl and add 2-3 tblsps of ice water, or enough to form dough; knead dough briefly on a floured surface and chill it, wrapped plastic wrap, for 1 hour; roll out dough 3/8 inch thick on a floured surface, cut into rounds with a 4 1/2 inch cutter, and fit the rounds into 1/3 cup muffin tins.
- Make the filling: In a bowl beat the egg, vanilla and butter until well-combined and stir in brown sugar and vinegar; spoon filling into shells and bake in a preheated 400F (205C) oven for 15 minutes; let cool 5 minutes; carefully remove from tins and let cool completely.(filling will be thin and runny while hot but will firm up as it cools).
- Note: Many like raisins in their butter tarts (I don't); if you are one of them, add 1/4 cup raisins to the filling mixture.