Recipe by evelyn/athens
Top Review by partysweets
Awesome! I used my own recipe for the shells and the filling from this and it's the best buttertart filling I've ever had. These tarts flew off my dessert plate. Thanks so much! This recipe will be added to the Christmas must haves list for sure.
- 354.88 ml all-purpose flour
- 2.46 ml sugar
- 1.23 ml salt
- 66.55 ml cold butter, cut into bits
- 29.58 ml cold vegetable shortening
- 1 large egg, beaten lightly
- 4.92 ml vanilla
- 59.14 ml butter, melted and cooled
- 236.59 ml firmly packed brown sugar
- 14.79 ml distilled white vinegar
- 59.14 ml raisins (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Make the shells: In a processor, blend the flour, sugar, salt, butter and shortening until mixture resembles meal; transfer to a bowl and add 2-3 tblsps of ice water, or enough to form dough; knead dough briefly on a floured surface and chill it, wrapped plastic wrap, for 1 hour; roll out dough 3/8 inch thick on a floured surface, cut into rounds with a 4 1/2 inch cutter, and fit the rounds into 1/3 cup muffin tins.
- Make the filling: In a bowl beat the egg, vanilla and butter until well-combined and stir in brown sugar and vinegar; spoon filling into shells and bake in a preheated 400F (205C) oven for 15 minutes; let cool 5 minutes; carefully remove from tins and let cool completely.(filling will be thin and runny while hot but will firm up as it cools).
- Note: Many like raisins in their butter tarts (I don't); if you are one of them, add 1/4 cup raisins to the filling mixture.