Recipe by SusieQ222
The "tart" in this recipe doesn't mean tart as in sour. These are very sweet. The "tart" comes from the fact that the filling is traditonally a tart filling. These are very easy to make and a nice bar/square/slice. This recipe is from an old newspaper clipping from the Vancouver Sun Newspaper.
- 118.29 ml butter
- 236.59 ml flour
- 29.58 ml brown sugar
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 354.88 ml brown sugar
- 118.29 ml quick-cooking oats
- 2.46 ml baking powder
- 1.23 ml salt
- 4.92 ml vanilla
- 118.29 ml walnuts, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- For Base, cut butter into flour and the 2 tablespoons brown sugar until crumbly.
- Press mixture into a buttered 9 inch square pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 15 minutes.
- For filling, combine eggs, 1-1/2 cups brown sugar, oats, baking powder, salt, vanilla and walnuts; whisk together.
- Pour filling onto baked base.
- Return to the oven; bake for another 20 to 25 minutes.
- Cool before cutting into squares.