Recipe by SusieQ222
The "tart" in this recipe doesn't mean tart as in sour. These are very sweet. The "tart" comes from the fact that the filling is traditonally a tart filling. These are very easy to make and a nice bar/square/slice. This recipe is from an old newspaper clipping from the Vancouver Sun Newspaper.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- For Base, cut butter into flour and the 2 tablespoons brown sugar until crumbly.
- Press mixture into a buttered 9 inch square pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 15 minutes.
- For filling, combine eggs, 1-1/2 cups brown sugar, oats, baking powder, salt, vanilla and walnuts; whisk together.
- Pour filling onto baked base.
- Return to the oven; bake for another 20 to 25 minutes.
- Cool before cutting into squares.