Recipe by Shar-on
I found this recipe in the local paper, who's source was "The Great Cdn. Muffin Bake-Off, Chatelaine, April 1966." I tried it and was pleased.
Top Review by Diana #2
I was just about to post this very recipe. Good thing I looked ;) This muffin is so tasty. I usually omit the maple syrup topping, but seeing CountryLady's suggestion of piercing the muffins first, well....I've just got to try that.
- 354.88 ml thompson seedless grapes (a full flavored raisin)
- 177.44 ml sugar
- 118.29 ml butter, cut into chunks
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 118.29 ml milk
- 4.92 ml rum flavoring
- 354.88 ml flour
- 9.85 ml baking powder
- 4.92 ml baking soda
- 0.25 ml salt
- 118.29 ml walnuts, chopped
- 59.14 ml maple syrup or 59.14 ml corn syrup
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium saucepan, cook raisins, sugar, butter, eggs, milk and rum flavoring, stirring frequently, until it is slightly thickened and just beginning to bubble.
- Cool slightly, uncovered.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir tog the dry ingredients.
- Make a well in the centre and pour in warm raisin mixture, stirring just until combined.
- Spoon muffin mixture into 12 greased muffins cups.
- Sprinkle walnuts over top of each muffin.
- Bake at 375°F for 17 minutes or until centre tests done.
- Remove from oven and immediately pour 1 tsp syrup over each muffin.
- Cool about 10 minutes before removing them to cool on rack.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.