Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
A perfect buttery sweet filling makes these irresistable! Passed down by my great Aunt who was French Canadian. She cooked with approximate measures, so these amounts may vary to taste.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Mix the brown sugar into the melted butter.
- Add the vanilla, vinegar and lemon juice.
- Beat the eggs lightly and add to mixture; add corn syrup.
- Sprinkle 5 or 6 raisins (or walnuts or pecans) into the bottom of each tart shell. These tarts are also delicious without anything in them.
- Ladle the filling into the tart shells, filling about 2/3 of each shell.
- Bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for about 20 minutes or until the filling is just barely set.
- Cool tarts and enjoy!
I've tried a hundred different versions of butter tart filling and this one is the BEST. Not jelly, not too gooey. Just PERFECT!
I've tried quite a few recipes and this is definitely the best. We add some skor bits before putting the filling in the tart shell mmmmm
Very good sweet custardy consistency to this filling! I made pastry from scratch with a lard base and baked them at a lower temperature (325) for a few minutes longer. Keep an eye on the colour to know when done. This baking method was recommended by a master baker friend for pastry. <br/>Grandpa Bruce devoured them when I brought him a couple for a hospital visit!