Prep 25 mins
Cook 40 mins
Delicate and delicious...one of my Mom's recipes she reserved for special occasions. The only leavening in this recipe is eggs.
- 4 whole eggs
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh lemon rind
- 1 1⁄2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sifted cornstarch
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground mace
- Set oven at 350 degrees.
- Grease & flour a 9" tube pan or a long, narrow bread pan.
- Add vanilla & lemon rind to butter.
- Combine eggs, egg yolks & sugar in large mixing bowl. Beat for one minute. Set bowl over half-filled pan of hot water but do not let bowl touch water.
- Place pan over low heat until contents of bowl are lukewarm, stirring occasionally to prevent eggs from cooking on bottom.
- Remove bowl from pan & beat mixture until cool & triple in bulk.
- Sprinkle flour, cornstarch & mace on top of egg mixture & fold in gently.
- Add butter mixture gradually & fold only till no streaks of butter show.
- Pour into pan. Bake about 40 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from pan immediately.
- Allow to cool completely before slicing.