Recipe by Random Rachel
Yummy buttery crispy smashed potatoes. Excellent side dish, based on the recipe by Australian food writer Jill Dupleix.
- 1 lb small red potatoes (about 20 golf ball sized potatoes) or 1 lb gold potato (about 20 golf ball sized potatoes)
- 1⁄3 cup melted butter
- 3 -4 tablespoons kosher salt, divided
- 1 -2 tablespoon fresh ground black pepper
- 6 slices cooked bacon (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 450* F.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, with 2 tbsp salt. Add potatoes, and boil until quite tender, but not falling apart.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment. Once potatoes are soft, place on baking sheets, leaving ample space between them.
- Use a flat bottomed glass to smash each potato to 1/4" thickness.
- Melt butter, and drizzle or brush over potatoes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 30 minutes, until crispy. Meanwhile, fry the bacon and shred the cheese. Dice the bacon.
- After the potatoes are out of the oven, sprinkle with the bacon and cheese.