Yummy buttery crispy smashed potatoes. Excellent side dish, based on the recipe by Australian food writer Jill Dupleix.
- Preheat oven to 450* F.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, with 2 tbsp salt. Add potatoes, and boil until quite tender, but not falling apart.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment. Once potatoes are soft, place on baking sheets, leaving ample space between them.
- Use a flat bottomed glass to smash each potato to 1/4" thickness.
- Melt butter, and drizzle or brush over potatoes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 30 minutes, until crispy. Meanwhile, fry the bacon and shred the cheese. Dice the bacon.
- After the potatoes are out of the oven, sprinkle with the bacon and cheese.
These were good but I cut way back on the salt and pepper. It was something different for us. I topped ours with cheese but no bacon.
These little gems were very tasty. Crisp, tender and oh so flavorful. Really enjoyed the bacon and cheese on the buttery potatoes. Seasoned with Sea salt and fresh ground pepper, the perfect accompaniment to any meal. Thanks for sharing Rachel, made for the Fearless Red Dragons -ZWT8 - Australia
Yummy rich buttery goodness! Great flavor, a bit messy though. For some reason my potatoes wouldn't smash properly. Instead they just completely separated and turned into a hash brown or potatoes O'Brian type concoction. Perhaps my potatoes were too big? Still, very crispy and delish. Just a tip for others: tin foil works instead of parchment!