Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 4 hrs
Cook 20 mins
A traditional Moravian company delicacy from the Pennsylvania Dutch chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947. Overnight rising time not included in preparation time.
- Make the batter in the evening and set to rise until the morning.
- Mix the softened yeast, mashed potatoes, and 1/2 cup of sugar.
- Let stand for 4 hours.
- Add butter to milk.
- Add eggs, remaining sugar and salt and combine with yeast mixture.
- Sift in flour and knead thoroughly until elastic and no longer sticky.
- Cover and let rise overnight.
- Roll out to about 1/4 inch thickness, brush with melted butter and cut into two-inch squares.
- Turn corners toward the center.
- Place on a greased baking sheet about two inches apart and let rise until doubled.
- Bake at 450F about 20 minutes or until golden.
- Remove from oven, brush with melted butter and sift confectioners' sugar over the top.