Recipe by Reality
The best simple butter sauce - rich, creamy, fabulous! Use with any pasta recipe - fettucine with chicken, angel hair with shrimp, or just over some spaghetti noodles. Its flavor is great! I must give credit to Elswet's Shrimp Pasta in Herb Butter Sauce as this is an augmentation of that recipe, which is delicious as well. As you can see, there are "necessary ingredients" and "seasoning ingredients". This is because the base of the sauce are the necessary ingredients. All of the other ingredients can be changed around, left out, substituted, etc. in accordance with your liking or what you have on hand.
Top Review by kowlover
this was a nice recipe. I omitted the cayenne pepper because I am not big on heat spice, and I omitted the milk because my family was recovering from a stomach bug and I was trying to find a light sauce for pasta. Admittedly a butter sauce may not have been as "light" as I thought. One lady said the margarine taste was too much so I used 3/4 cp butter and 1/4 cp margarine. I also added dried green onions, not a lot, and it was a tasty, tasty sauce. Next time I am going to only use 3/4 cp butter because we ended up with too much sauce, and one day I may be brave enough for the cayenne pepper.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 3 -4 tablespoons evaporated milk
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 pinches cayenne
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Let both butter and margarine soften.
- Using hand mixer, blend butter and margarine together with flour until well incorporated.(I generally do this blending in a glass bowl which I can then place on top of a pan of simmering water for the next steps).
- Melt the butter/flour mixture in a double boiler over med. low heat(or glass bowl over simmering pan) until just melted.
- As butter/flour mixture is melting, add it the evaporated milk, garlic powder, cayenne, salt and pepper. All of these ingredients are according to your taste - you can use real garlic and heavy cream, white pepper, whatever you prefer or have on hand. You can add up to 4 tablespoons of evaporated milk without making the sauce too thin. Lastly, add in as much paremsan cheese as you would like, my preference is about 2 tablespoons.
- Pour over noodles or whatever and enjoy!